Town House, Culross
This small royal burgh on the north shore of the Forth provides a striking introduction to Scottish domestic life in the 16th and 17th centuries. Culross was then a thriving community, developed under the businesslike laird, Sir George Bruce, with a flourishing trade with other Forth ports and the Low Countries.
The Town House and The Study are both open to the public, while The Ark, Bishop Leighton's House, The Nunnery and other restored houses may be viewed from the outside, but are not open to the public. Visitor reception and exhibition/video on the royal burgh of Culross in Town House: shown to groups in Bessie Bar Hall.
The Palace was built between 1597 and 1611 for Sir George and features decorative items. On the ground floor of the west wing there is a collection of Staffordshire and Scottish pottery bequeathed by the late Mr William Steel. A model 17th-century garden with raised beds, a covered walkway, a flowery mead and hurdle fencing, has been built to the rear of the Palace. It contains a variety of unusual vegetables, herbs and perennials, all available in 1600.
information from: 0141 620 0473
| Venues | Photo Gallery | About Year's Charity | BBC Music Live | Obesa Home page | Contact |